(#2 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I've been here a while

Points: 26,815, Level: 23 Points: 26,815, Level: 23 Points: 26,815, Level: 23

Re: How LGBT is presented in the media - February 25th 2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunkAlien View Post
As a bi guy, the one thing I never got was why a lot of gay guys (not many bi guy characters around) are shown as overly feminine. I know that some gay guys are like that, so it's not completely made up. But, it's rare to see the media depict a gay guy like any other guy with the only thing different being the preference of who he likes. I really like the British show & now Showtime show 'Shameless' in how they depict Ian Gallagher. A regular guy, just happens to like guys.

Personally, I think it's because the media might be scared of showing gay guys like any other guy for the most part. Like some notions might be too radical since it would show that we can blend into plain sight without anyone being the wiser - with none of the "stereotypical" trademarks. It would delete the notion of there being a "big difference" or "great divide" between straight and gay.

As a bi guy, I don't mean any offense but it can be a little insulting to think that most people think - well "he likes guys, he's feminine." I don't have a lisp, I'm far from being feminine and I'm like any other guy who just happens to be attracted to both men and women on a look & emotional level. That's why, as I said before, Ian Gallagher's my favorite portrayal and I haven't seen that many that show it like it is. I really wish more people knew and it would be stressed more often - Alexander the Great & James Dean, very manly guys were both bi. Might change how people look at it. Enforce that, in the end, it's all the same.
Truth be told, I've never met a gay or bi guy that wasn't at least somewhat feminine. Even those who try to deny it, they'll still have some tell that marks them out. Admittedly I'm more obsessive about body language than most people, but I also have ridiculously good gaydar, so I think I might be onto something.

And your historic examples aren't that convincing. While there are arguments that James Dean was bisexual, there are also arguments that say that he put out to other guys only as a means of advancing his career. In other words, he was straight, but the people around him weren't. And in the case of Alexander the Great, there isn't that much that we know about him except that he was a brilliant general. I don't see any reason why a feminine man, or indeed a woman, wouldn't be able to pull off that feat. While Alexander was obviously exceptional, I don't think that his conquests could only have been carried out by a man. Point is, he could have been feminine, and that wouldn't be inconsistent with his achievements.

Not that I think that no gay or bi guy could be masculine. It could be that the openly gay guys I know are feminine, but that that isn't representative. Or that there are masculine straight guys who secretly thirst for cock.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.