(#11 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25

Re: What are you thoughts on dating services? - February 28th 2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Nocturnal~Symphony* View Post
3) I believe in letting true love come to you, instead of being desperate and digging for it. It never works that way. And so yes, I do believe dating services is for desperate people.
This is an interesting concept that I don't really understand. In my view, I believe that we acquire relationships the same way we do in dating services and in real life. In real life, it's like an interactive dating service but more emphasis on the looks rather than personality. The benefit of looking for relationships in real life is that you can accurately base someone's looks because you can see all of them clearly and plainly, but you normally can't tell someone's personality based on how they look therefore, in real life, it's hard to judge someone's personality without getting to know them first. On dating services, it's the same concept except it's opposite: you can't really tell in full detail of how attractive they are, but you get a good idea of their personality (in an ideal situation). How do you acquire a relationship in real life? You approach them, maybe have a conversation, and then ask her out. How do you acquire a relationship on the dating service? You send them a message, maybe have a conversation, and then ask her out. So it's the same general concept, except both have strength and weaknesses.

But you view this as desperate. The idea of "letting your true love come to you" is a very fairytale approach on relationships because statistically, the chances of finding my true love is slim. And I think there's two approaches to this fact: I can either believe in the statistics that say my chances of finding my true love is slim based on the population and all that jazz, or I can believe in miracles and say that true love is going to come to me regardless of the odds. Unfortunately, I don't believe in miracles. And what if I were to wait for that person? The more I wait for someone, the longer I sit here empty handed. I can either sit here with a false belief that my princess will somehow come into my life, and it'll somehow all come together and I'll live happily ever after, OR I could be resourceful and expand my horizons by signing up for a free dating service. To me, I don't see how you could consider that "desperate" but I think it's entirely logical as you are searching in a wider aspect. I look at real life as looking for treasure without a radar system. Sure, you might find something that people overlooked or something along those lines, but wouldn't it be more effective to look for treasure while using a radar system? That way not only can you look above ground, but you can look below it to find the good stuff that people probably wouldn't even consider looking? It's like saying a treasure finder makes you desperate to find treasure. I don't think that's always the case. Finding treasure isn't always about acting on a hunch but being resourceful because there's still millions, maybe billions of dollars of treasure in foreign oceans that haven't been found yet and no one has found them all because you can't expect to search the whole damn ocean without having some kind of resource. Sometimes, people just get lucky. And if someone gets lucky, that they're able to find their "true love" without having to use a treasure finder, then is it really considered desperate?
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.