Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21

Re: @Atheists: Do you hate religion? - March 6th 2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite View Post
One thing that annoys me though about some Atheists is they say they hate 'all religion equally' but more or less it comes down to hating Christians and Christianity. The same people who would hack off your head if you dare say something negative Islam. The general consensus is that you can't blame all of Islam for something a minority of people have done. Oh, but that doesn't go for Christianity... It is liable for everything any extremist has done in the present, hundreds of years ago and probably future misteps too.
I agree with you that such a viewpoint would set a perplexing double standard, but I've also never met an Atheist who argued that. If anything, I would say the bias is more likely to be in the other direction, if only by a little. The Abrahamic religions are all pretty similar in spirit, just differentiated by the societies around them; Islam is now more or less what Christianity was a thousand years ago. I think it would be more reasonable to use Buddhism or similar religions as a counterpoint to the "hate all religions equally" standpoint. I do oppose all religions, but the fervor depends on what exactly it is the religion teaches.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.