forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Points: 38,917, Level: 28 Points: 38,917, Level: 28 Points: 38,917, Level: 28

Re: @Atheists: Do you hate religion? - March 8th 2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
If I had a pound for every time someone has rolled out that claim, I would be laughing all the way to the bank now. Regardless of the interpretation you apply to history, that simply is not true. The First and Second World Wars killed more people than any other conflict in human history and had nothing at all to do with religion, as did the overwhelming majority of European conflicts which were mostly down to who insulted who in which court and monarchs using their armies in retaliation. Break the causes down to their most basic and you come up with human greed and lines on a map, which would only really be resolved if you remove the notion of land ownership or possession altogether. In any event, it's not God that has inspired such violence - it's simply a convenient excuse, and if we humans are good at anything it's finding convenient excuses.
Gotta say, I'm Agnostic leaning on Shinto but.. the guy has a point. The Crusades is just about the only point anyone can bring up. I guess if you added up every witch ever burned and everyone ever killed for blasphemy..