(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Points: 26,125, Level: 23 Points: 26,125, Level: 23 Points: 26,125, Level: 23

Re: cutting - March 20th 2011, 12:26 PM

Hey there,

Firstly, welcome to TeenHelp. I hope you're finding all that you're looking for here.

Be careful and wary of self-diagnosis. Its very easy for us to kind of give a name to what we think we have and then almost, in a way, start 'imagining' symptoms that we may not have had otherwise! And of course, that just leads to a downward spiral and quite a vicious cycle. On the other hand, I think its great that you're paying attention to how you're feeling. Acknowledging that we need help is the first step to actually getting help, so give yourself a pat on the back - you're on the right track.

Let's see...so you don't like talking to adults, and you're not open to the idea of trying medicinal therapy. That puts us in a bit of a bind, if I'm being honest. I think a big part of "recovery" is being open to new things. I was actually going to suggest potentially reaching out to a guidance counselor, and I think its something you should certainly consider.

Little things can definitely pile up - I hear just where you're coming from on that one. I think when such things DO happen, its really important for us to just try our best to stay grounded and take things one step at a time so as not to become overwhelmed.

If I'm not mistaken, Taekwondo is not performed with the intent to hurt others, and is actually used by a lot of people as a huge outlet for stress and other things. Perhaps thinking of this activity in a new light (as self-improvement rather than hurting others, for example?) will relieve some of the stress and anxiety you feel is associated with this.

As far as self harm goes, please be careful. I highly encourage you to stop the cycle of self harm while its still a new habit. As I'm sure you've realized (goodness, as I'm sure we've ALL realized), old habits do die hard and self ham is neither a healthy one or an easy one to pull ourselves out of once we fall into the vicious cylic nature of it.

I hope everything works out for you. I'll be sending positive thoughts your way; take good care of yourself.