(#46 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Science, religion...thoughts - March 27th 2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewithYou
There are rules to understanding the Bible called hermeneutics, and it suggests that Genesis account of creation could essentially be figurative. I don't agree with this
If you don't interpret it figuratively, do you interpret it literally? If so, are there talking snakes, do plants not need sunlight (Genesis 1:11-14), giants walking on Earth, people living 800+ years, etc... . For the last one, you mentioned ambiguity of how long a day was and although that does apply to years also, it means some people died early in life while others out-lived them hundreds of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01love View Post
First - I'm religious & I believe in the existence of God. However, I'm also majoring in Microbiology & Immunology with specialties in Evolutionary Genetics.
Excellent, I like having discussions regarding science with someone who studies in it. Since you're in Canada, where do you study? I'm at University of Toronto studying in double major biology and psychology with minor in criminology, so my specialty is neuroscience and pharmacology, although I took a course in comparative vertebrate anatomy and evolution.

Quote:
I'm Catholic by birth, but I don't think my religious beliefs follow the Catholic regime. What I believe is exactly as I said - "the existence of God". As I study and learn more about the sciences, my belief in God gets stronger. The chemical reactions, the enzymatic processes, the exact concentrations of ions, transcription of DNA, translation of mRNA... I don't think all these things could've just happened by chance. Someone somewhere must have planned for these things to happen. We gave that higher figure the term God, so I believe in the existence of God.
I always ask someone this, why must have it been planned? Is it because it'd be such a big coincidence if it wasn't planned, which is the usual argument I hear?

Quote:
I have no idea if God loves us or not. I believe that if He doesn't love us, he at least doesn't mind us since He did make us. (:
When you say "made us", do you mean god making humans directly or indirectly? If indirectly, such as evolution, do you subscribe to theistic evolution or to biological evolution (i.e. scientific)? I ask this because from your metaphorical interpretation, would that mean god consciously directs evolution?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)