OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Science, religion...thoughts - March 27th 2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewithYou View Post
Nick,
I'll respond more tomorrow because I am tired. I personally take Genesis to be literal, so yes, I do believe people lived hundreds of years. There's a whole chemistry and study about this from Christian scientists and historians of how this would be possible pre-flood. Notice that the years decline after the flood. There's science reasoning behind it. However, I personally just find it as being as simple as this: If God can make the Universe out of nothing, if Christ cured crippled, if Christ rose from the dead, etc. There's nothing that's necessarily absurd as long as you have God. But if these things happened naturally,without God, yes, they'd be quite weird. Anyways I'm tired so I'll respond tomorrow. I have about 12 hours of sleep under my belt this past week...
Could you give this scientific reasoning? It's useless to say there is a reasoning but not give it. So, your reasoning you hold is "god can do anything". That's not much of an argument, it's weak and circular. Fair enough, get some rest.

But do you also believe in talking snakes? If snakes talked back then, and snakes exist now, why don't snakes talk now? Also, do you adhere to scientific explanations as well as religious ones for certain topics? For example, if someone is ill and getting worse, do you turn to science or religion as a reason and remedy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewithYou View Post
The edit button isn't loading. Also look up some works from Aryeh Kaplan. And in regards to your plant question, without looking up the passage, I believe the plants weren't even growing until later on even though they were planted (i suppose). I think we learn this in Genesis 2 but I don't remember off the top. Anyways night.
I don't read things when someone tells me to go read a certain book or look up stuff by someone. Sorry, you're going to have to post a link and be specific otherwise, not happening.

The plant passage was in Genesis 1 and the passage, the plants were planted and growing prior to sunlight for them. It's Genesis 1:11-13.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Last edited by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!; March 27th 2011 at 08:51 AM.