(#51 (permalink)) Old
01love Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Lena

Points: 8,546, Level: 13 Points: 8,546, Level: 13 Points: 8,546, Level: 13

Re: Science, religion...thoughts - March 27th 2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
Excellent, I like having discussions regarding science with someone who studies in it. Since you're in Canada, where do you study? I'm at University of Toronto studying in double major biology and psychology with minor in criminology, so my specialty is neuroscience and pharmacology, although I took a course in comparative vertebrate anatomy and evolution.
Oh, a UT student! Haha nice to meet you, I grew up in Toronto (: Currently, I'm in my 2nd year at McGill University.

Quote:
I always ask someone this, why must have it been planned? Is it because it'd be such a big coincidence if it wasn't planned, which is the usual argument I hear?
Yes, exactly that. I believe the world is too complex and too exact to have been a complete accident. The chemical balance in our body, in the environment, in space, everything! - it is so delicate, even a single mistake could've tipped something out of sync and out of control. But that didn't happen, we're all here typing away at TH~ I don't think this universal balance was created by a coincidence, because the balance is still maintained. Unplanned incidents can't be so perfect, so lasting - this is my belief (:

Quote:
When you say "made us", do you mean god making humans directly or indirectly? If indirectly, such as evolution, do you subscribe to theistic evolution or to biological evolution (i.e. scientific)? I ask this because from your metaphorical interpretation, would that mean god consciously directs evolution?
I mean indirectly through evolution. I am taking many many genetic courses as a part of my program in school, so I'd probably have an extremely conflicting time if I didn't believe in biological genetics lol Frankly, with all the scientific advancements and continued research in evolutionary genetics, I think it would be naive to argue against biological evolution. I think God just put together the universe, planned out for a little planet called Earth to develop from space dust, planned for small organisms called Homo sapiens to eventually evolve from pre-existing organisms. But I don't think God cares about us the way most Christians say so. I don't think He cares that some people go to church and others don't.

Just my 2 cents (: