View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 51,232, Level: 32 Points: 51,232, Level: 32 Points: 51,232, Level: 32

Re: Mental Health/Depression Medication? - April 2nd 2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
Some people are depressed because of things in life, traumatic incidents, puberty, and various other things. Those would be easier to solve with therapy instead of medication, I'd agree.

However, there are people who have Depression because of nothing more than a chemical imbalance in their minds. When you think about it, if somebody is depressed because of chemicals, NOT because of their feelings, emotions, life, etc., then therapy would probably be nothing more than helping them cope with feeling down. And well, coping isn't solving the problem. Chemical imbalances are like a disease, that needs medication.
I agree with this completely. If you had a broken leg you'd see a doctor, wouldn't you? When you think about it, depression you can't necessarily see. A broken leg is something physical; you can see it. Both depression and a broken leg cause pain. Now why wouldn't you see a doctor for depression? Obviously this is just an example, but a chemical imbalance won't get better alone, like a broken leg wouldn't heal properly without a cast.