Thread: Triggering (Abuse): Is this rape?
View Single Post
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Is this rape? - April 4th 2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Also, to commit a crime, you have to be in a "criminal state of mind", which essentially means you must be knowlingly commiting a crime, which is why insanity is a defense, if his intent was "I'm going to have sex with her", it's not rape, if it's "She won't let me, so I'll make her", it's rape.
I can see what you're getting at, but I would say that the first would only actually qualify as not being a mens rea for rape if it was "I'm going to have sex with her if she wants it as well". As it currently stands, it could be interpreted as "I'm going to have sex with her whether she likes it or not" - it isn't specifically said, and the second is definitely more clear-cut in that respect, but if you combine the first with the actus reus of carrying on regardless of consent then that still meets the legal threshold. It is all down to interpretation but then all law is based on interpretation at the end of the day. Also as Rachel points out silence is not consent (although case law has not been able to determine whether consent must therefore be express or can be implied), but it is more of a situational issue. I would agree with the broader point you are making however.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick