(#14 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Drinking for the first time? - April 7th 2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkatyy View Post
My health class teacher said bread soaks things up, Depeneding on the amount you drink wll depend on how fast you sober up.
Sorry, your health teacher is wrong when it comes to using bread for the purpose of the thread.

Bread soaks things up if they're on a plate, not if you've already eaten it because once you've ate it, the bread is already soaked and cant absorb anything else. The myth of bread involved burning bread to get charcoal because activated charcoal is used to help treat poisoning. However, charcoal from burnt food and activated charcoal are not the same. Bread, burnt or not, contains some ions such as sodium which may become decreased when drinking alcohol so it could serve as a source for that but you'd be better off drinking a sports drink or some other healthy thing because it'll have more sodium as well as vitamin b & d which are decreased when drinking. Lastly, assuming it does soak liquid up when ingested, it would decrease the amount of water, which would make the hangover worse.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)