Thread: Triggering (Abuse): Is this rape?
View Single Post
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Points: 18,923, Level: 19 Points: 18,923, Level: 19 Points: 18,923, Level: 19

Re: Is this rape? - April 10th 2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite View Post
See, this seems ridiculous to me. If someone, say, at a party, is constantly saying "Come on, please have sex with me... please? Please please please? You'll like it, come on..." and you keep saying no, then eventually, you think, why not, and agree to have sex with him... how is that rape?
The person asking should have taken no for an answer. It should be obvious to them that persuasion is taking advantage. If the other eventually agrees, it is agreeing out of pressure.

Quote:
You say that talking someone into buying a car and talking someone into sex are different concepts, but your evidence for that confuses me. You say that unless you're held at gunpoint, being persuaded into buying a car is unlikely to present fear. But unless you're being held at gunpoint, why would someone trying to talk you into sex cause such fear?
It's completely different from persuading somebody to buy something. Sex is a physically and emotionally sensitive topic, and if someone is asking for it again and again, it's going to come across as demanding or even aggressive. That will induce fear; it may even cause the victim to think "Maybe I should go along with this or I'll get really hurt..."

Quote:
But if someone simply just tries to 'convince' you to have sex, and your course of action is to rip off your clothes and get into bed with him, rather than leave the room, it makes you pretty pathetic and weak minded to call it rape afterwards.
That's a complete exaggeration. Yes, it would be wrong to call that rape. But that example is out of context and far from the point I was making.