View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: How will smoking weed affect me? - April 14th 2011, 05:51 AM

Why it's illegal, I don't know, I'm in pharmacology, neuroscience and physiology, not law.

Regarding it being addicting, it's not a straight-forward answer. In the '70s researchers said it's physiologically addicting but toward the '80s-early '90s, researchers said it's mostly psychologically addicting. Currently, the answer is it's psychologically addicting BUT there's no consensus regarding build-up of tolerance or withdrawl at all doses. Generally, as you take very very large doses for a long time, it gets closer to being physiologically addicting but still is significantly less addicting than taking amphetamines or alcohol at a high dosage for a long time. It's not a direct answer but studies are going left, right, up, down and side-ways on saying whether it's addicting and why.

Most people just mellow out although some have side-effects of paranoia no matter how often they take it. Physically, it's not going to do anything you can observe on the outside of your body. The changes are going to be at the molecular level as well as changes in electrophysiology and general physiology. You may not be interested in the molecular changes but if you are, they involve various receptors, such as CB1, CB2, GPR18, GPR55, GPR118 and a complex set of molecular cascades. General physiological changes include cardiac muscles, skin, liver, bones (helps in treating osteoporosis), etc... .

As others said, be cautious about what is in the marijuana. There are different species of marijuana having different concentrations of THC (main ingredient) and differences in minor ingredients. If it's mixed with some other drug, I cant suggest what will happen because you're tossing a wild card in the mix.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 625545 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!