View Single Post
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: How will smoking weed affect me? - May 6th 2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody View Post
We've been learning about the effects of drugs on the body in science, so to add how its not worth it weed will block the serotonin from being absorbed in your body which will lower your mood. You may feel good when on it, but afterwards things that used to make you happy won't give you the same good feelings. It really isn't worth it.
That's an incredibly simplistic view on how it works. Serotonin is present throughout much of the brain and neurochemical systems aren't isolated. If serotonin is affected, so are other neurochemicals. If you learn about marijuana in science, you'd learn about cannabinoid receptors (1 and 2), endocannabinoids, retrograde neural transmission leading to reversed excitability, how marijuana's effect on the "reward system" differs from other drugs, effects on hippocampus, etc... .

I understand you're 15 and haven't taken university research courses so you don't know the details and that's fine. However, if you're going to make a sweeping statement of how it affects serotonin, think what it'll also effect: dopamine, ACh, AVP, oxytocin, etc... . I don't know if you've learned some of the serotonin receptors but if you have, then you're posting so little. I understand you don't know much of it but at least acknowledge or mention that.

As for the second last sentence, that doesn't involve serotonin only. It involves dopamine and the difference between "liking" and "wanting" neurobiologically.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 625545 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!