(#5 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 15,744, Level: 18 Points: 15,744, Level: 18 Points: 15,744, Level: 18

Re: Dating multiple people at once - May 17th 2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayingPretend View Post
There was a discussion on this not too long ago on another site I belong to, polyamory specifically, though the topic of open relationships came up.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it if all parties are consenting parties. This goes for polygamous relationships and open relationships. I feel that the terms do need to be discussed and that both partners need to be on the same page, and I feel that communication is extremely important in both circumstances, same as it is/would be in a monogamous relationship.

The example I used in the other discussion, when someone essentially said polygamy and open relationships were "acceptable forms of cheating," was to compare it to exams. You have closed-book and open-book exams. If you bring in notes "under the table," so to speak, when the exam is closed-book, closed-note, then I would consider that to be cheating. In an open-book exam, everyone, students, teachers, etc., are aware of the fact that it's an open-book, open-note exam. You have the answers in front of you, same as you would if you smuggled the answers in, but it's different in the sense that it has been okayed and all parties have consented to the open-book exam. The same idea, in my opinion, can be applied to relationships.

Though neither of those relationships are for me, I can see the perspectives of the people who are in them, and I can respect those perspectives for what they are. I don't feel I'm in any position of authority to be judging somebody else's lifestyle, and to be frank, I feel a lot of people spend too much time on analysing and judging others' lifestyles and not enough time focusing on their own. I think we need to live and let live. I don't expect to be criticised for being in a monogamous relationship, and I'm not going to bring that criticism down upon somebody else. I find many societal standards to be ridiculous (excluding the obvious, such as child molestation, murder, etc. being seen as wrong across society). However, I feel the lack of awareness, education, and accurate information on, say, polyamorous relationships contributes to the ignorance of society, and ignorance tends to breed hatred, distaste, or quick disagreement.
*applause*

Excellent post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savealife723 View Post
I definitely think that if someone is going to date multiple people, then all the people need to be fully aware and acceptable of the fact that the other person is seeing other people as well. I think that if that was the case, the relationships would have to be much more honest, but also much more closed. I don't think one person would want to hear about you doing other things with another of the partners. Honesty would be important in a lot of it, but also it'd be very complex to know how to handle something like that.

I personally would not be into dating multiple people. I would be open to having "flings" with multiple people as long as I wasn't committed to any of them. As soon as I got more feelings for one rather than the other though, I would tell them and then make up my mind whether I wanted it to go further or not.

I doubt this was much help to you at all, I'm sorry. Haa.

I hope that you find what you're looking for in this question.
Now, does it have to be explicitly voiced, or can it be "implied?" I agree that both partners should realize that the relationship is not "serious" per se, nor should they be sharing their exploits with other partners at the same time as they are together (unless that's their thing lol). But does it have to be VOICED or can it just be "implied?" Also, any discussion is welcome. I am just trying to get some back-and-forth on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
Nothing wrong with it. Taking a girl to the cinema isn't a pledge of exclusivity.

Does this mean you've got two girls on the go?
Lulz I figured you'd chime in as "pro."

Define "on the go" lol. I am seeing one girl (have not "defined" the relationship yet- third "date" is tonight) and have a couple others I have yet to call up.

"Ignore the ramblings of the ignorant, and step on or over their crumpled bodies as you make your way to the top of the mountain. Eat upon their flesh for fuel, and, through your determination and will, banish them to obscurity and a life of complacency and self righteousness that is the hell in which they live"

-Richard Safreed

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

Last edited by Choose; May 17th 2011 at 11:47 PM.