Thread: Non-PG13 (Strong Language): Stupid war on drugs makes medication hard to get for me
View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39

Re: Stupid war on drugs makes medication hard to get for me - August 5th 2011, 01:07 AM

While I agree that some employers do discriminate (even though they're not supposed to), I think you're missing an important point. The fact that you smoke weed, an illegal substance, demonstrates that you're not one to follow the rules.

You argued that alcohol is a drug as well... and while it's true that abusing alcohol can be just as bad as abusing weed or other illegal drugs, the bottom-line is that you are knowingly breaking the rules. If you are willing to do that with weed, then how can you prove you're not willing to do that with prescribed drugs as well? If you want to smoke weed, then that's your choice, but be aware that there may be consequences to your actions. Living with the stigma of being a potential drug abuser and/or distributor is one of those consequences.

It's not really the "war on drugs" that led to the stigma... it's your willingness to violate the law. If you want another example of how you're willing to bend the rules to your liking, look at what you're doing with the doctors. One doctor cuts back on your prescribed medication, and you don't like it, so what do you do? Look for a doctor who WILL give you what you want. Did it ever occur to you that the doctor may have numerous reasons for cutting back your medication? Maybe you don't NEED to take 1 Adderall per day... maybe your doctor believes you can get the same results from cutting back to 1 Adderall every 3 days. It may take some time to adjust to the change in dosage, but rather than waiting it out, you're pushing forward with your own plan.

I'm not trying to get on your case. Again, I agree that there are some major flaws with our current system, and the government needs to make accommodations for the innocent people who just want to treat their illnesses. The problem, however, is that you're not exactly making things easy for yourself. Own up to the role you're playing in the "war on drugs". Employers are more likely to give people with ADHD a chance than someone who blatantly violates the law. Having ADHD isn't something that you can help... choosing to smoke weed, however, may indicate something about your personality to future employers.

Last edited by PSY; August 5th 2011 at 04:06 PM.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.