View Single Post
  (#269 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 13,321, Level: 16 Points: 13,321, Level: 16 Points: 13,321, Level: 16

Re: Do you have a mental illness? - August 18th 2011, 02:29 PM

Those of you who have been on this site for a long time will know that I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Clinical Depression a few years ago. I don't feel that I now suffer with either.

I didn't disclose my diagnoses to many people, so I don't believe I suffered any discrimination. Although, to this day, I am convinced that if I had been open about my problems, I would have faced discrimination, especially since I work with children.

I have learnt a wealth of positive things since I became ill. The obvious one being never to take good health for granted, whether it be mental or physical. Also, never assume you understand what someone else is going through - some things are impossible to imagine unless you have actually been affected (e.g. severe OCD). Thirdly, just because someone looks healthy it doesn't mean that they are, mentally or physically - people become very good at concealing their illnesses to avoid the stigma and appear "normal". Lastly, I have learnt that recovery is possible, despite the fact that when you're in the darkest days of your illness, you can't see how you can ever be free.

"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.