View Single Post
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Points: 19,139, Level: 20 Points: 19,139, Level: 20 Points: 19,139, Level: 20

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 26th 2011, 07:52 PM

To be perfectly honest, I can see the positivity in having a professional psychologist here to give advice; however, I feel that it's walking a fine line and COULD cause someone to not seek professional advice when it is needed, "because I can talk to Dr. Bobby online."
Even with impersonation (whether that's the case or not), let's pose a scenario: A person in the congregation of a local church gets suddenly ill and is rendered unconscious. Someone immediately calls for a doctor, and the doctor you get is someone who has a doctoral degree in English. Helpful? No.
Now, do I think that's the case here? No. Do I know for sure? No. What bothers me is that you continue to promote yourself as a doctor, saying, "Yes, there is a doctor in the house," and, "Yes. I am a psychologist," which seems to automatically give you more validity. I feel that you could be just as effective in helping users without ever having mentioned your degree or practice.

I'll admit, I'm skeptical. I will continue to be skeptical. I can trust you with advice as a person, but to ask me to trust you because impersonating a doctor is illegal but there's no other basis for me to trust you.... I'm a bit nervous about that.

Regardless, welcome to the site!

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi