View Single Post
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Points: 19,635, Level: 20 Points: 19,635, Level: 20 Points: 19,635, Level: 20

Re: College Protest against Proposed Califorinia Bill to Allow Colleges to consider ethnicity/gender in Admissions - September 28th 2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
Except it is just about income. Unless you're trying to make the point that non-white and poverty have a genetic correlation.

Cultural maybe, but that last time I checked, poverty wasn't JUST a minority issue.
No, poverty is not just a minority issue. But since it's far more prevelent for those of non-white backgrounds, it is an issue. Even if you're saying that disadvantage among minorities can be traced back to only income (hint: it can't) then surely you can see that since one entire race is in such a worse socio-ecomonmic position than another, THAT in itself makes it a race issue since race is the common factor.

I'm not saying that because of someone's skin colour it means they will be poor, or that someone becomes poor because of their skin colour. The issue of correlation vs causation isn't really important here, the issue is that since one race is in such a better position than another it is important to recognize that and to take steps towards making sure things such as univeristy are availible to everyone.

And of course it's a cultural issue and not a genetic one. I think we're past that by a few decades.

Quote:
How does that have anything to do with skin color? If I brought up statistics pointing out how a lot of violent crime is committed by blacks, does that mean that being black makes you more violent? Obviously not.
No, it just means that more violent crimes are commited by blacks. Call a spade a spade. It doesn't mean that being born black makes you more violent. It doesn't mean that if you're born black you're automatically disadvantaged and won't be able to get into university.

It just means that there is a cultural issue at play which means that it is more likely for someone who is black than someone who is white (and I've no idea of the statistics so I'm just going on your theory) to commit a violent crime, and that someone who is white has more chance of getting into university than someone who is white.

And if those things are true then that is obviously a cultural or ethnicity issue which puts 'blacks' (not sure what race you're even talking about here to be honest) at a huge disadvantage in life.

Quote:
I never said we were at a disadvantage.
So it doesn't put you at a disadvantage, you just, what, have a problem with other people getting ahead in life? You're right. I must be missing your point because you're kind of not coming off in a very good light here.

Quote:
Again, missing my point. I never said I had a problem with scholarships. I said I had a problem with racially charged admission practices.
Fine, swap what I've said about scholarships with admission practices.

Quote:
Ethnicity is a red herring that we need to stop making a big god damned deal of. Also, how is one generation of scholarships supposed to magically fix anything?
Ethnicity isn't the problem, but it's the common factor that links a lot of disadvantage together. If someone is black and born into a nice middle class household, they're obviously going to have a leg up over someone who is white and born into poverty. Which is why finacial disadvantage is also considered in admission practices/scholarships.

The point is that being born (I'm going to say Aboriginal rather than black, because you're talking about this in an American context and I don't want to make stuff up) means that you're more likely to live in poverty, to not go to school, to have bad health, to be illiterate, to not have anyone in your close family who has attended university. You can't just ignore those things, I don't know why you keep trying too.

As for the whole scholarship thing, it's not just about scholarships, it's about an education. I'm not saying one generation of scholarships or university admission or education is going to stop disadvantage. I'm just saying that the children of those qualified, educated parents are not going to face the same problems that their parents probably did.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 729750 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!