View Single Post
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: College aplication help! - October 11th 2011, 04:02 AM

The first thing is to make sure you've used correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, diverse lexicon (a.k.a. vocabulary) and are not overly repetitive. It's simple but crucial, you can ask a friend, teacher or post it on here for us grammar-spelling Nazis (others have posted theirs on here or posted other assignments).

It's asking you to explain why should you be chosen over other applicants. The circumstances are meant to show something that drives you, has been a motivational factor, displays your mental aptitude, etc... . You want to advertise yourself to them, not write a soap opera of your feelings because to be blunt, in applications nobody cares about petty feelings. You're meant to state something great about yourself, something inspirational and if all you have is, "I was sad, then I got less sad", that's not going to cut it. Pretend you were reading over applications, would you choose the girl who got bummed out in grade 12 and that's why her marks are low, the girl who over-dosed on caffeine and fell down a flight of stairs, or would you pick the girl who was motivated by a doctor at the hospital she frequently volunteers at? You'd pick the last one.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)