View Single Post
  (#275 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Points: 23,852, Level: 22 Points: 23,852, Level: 22 Points: 23,852, Level: 22

Re: Do you have a mental illness? - October 11th 2011, 06:17 PM

Well, I realized, I've never answered this properly!

Have you had a mental illness?
I've been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder (by the psychiatrist I saw), it's pretty much been established that I have bad Anxiety *possibly GAD* (I've been given medication for my Anxiety by my GP), and I'm sure (as well as other people I know are sure) I have Bipolar Disorder, so I'm on a waitlist with a Mood Disorder Clinic to figure out that one.

Have you faced any discrimination for being mentally ill?
I haven't told many people, but some people have tried to act like I'm faking it, some people have tried to fake mental illnesses to "compete" with me (at least, that's what it seems like), but some people (like close friends, online friends, and my boyfriend) have treated me no different .

Discrimination? Maybe, though none of the above would be such. I've been made fun of because of the fact people see me as a "freak", by looks and personality I guess. I had some bad flip-outs in high school that got me labelled as a "Psycho".

Are there any positive things you have learned from having a mental illness?
I guess I can safely say that I have a good idea of who in my life is true to me or not, as far as friendships go. Also, I think that having mental health issues has given me more incentive to be properly informed about mental illnesses, rather than making assumptions (unlike some of the people I have known without mental illnesses, who throw "Bipolar" and "Schizo" around when they argue with someone, or see someone acting a certain way on TV).

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation