(#21 (permalink)) Old
shimmeringfaerie Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 18,257, Level: 19 Points: 18,257, Level: 19 Points: 18,257, Level: 19

Re: Teachers tell bullied kids to act less 'gay' - November 3rd 2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKmadu619 View Post
Shimmering Fairre: No, I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is being this:

in highschool is looking to be teased. No one is truly like that unless they are a transgendered person, which is again fine, but when acting in this mannerism intentionally and bitching when you get teased is stupid. It's again the same thing as: no all straight people feel the need to walk around all day and tell everyone how straight they are. Be like that, but suck it up, or don't act like a stereotypical gay/black/white and there will be nothing to tease anymore.

When acting in a stereotypial manner, expect to be treated stereotypically.

Again though. I'm not racist, anti-gay or anything like that, but honestly some people take pride in their race, sexuality, or gender too far.
- Justin
Your argument is just ridiculous. Plenty of children get teased for being gay regardless of whether they act in a stereotypical way. They will get teased regardless of what they wear. Your assumption that these kids were acting a certain way is not necessarily correct.

What you are saying is that people who don't fit into societal norms shouldn't act like themselves. Or that if they do act like themselves, they deserve to be tormented. How can you think that is okay? If a gay person wears something that a straight person probably wouldn't wear, they are not necessarily doing it to get attention. Perhaps they actually like to look like that? I don't understand why you won't consider the possibility that your idea of stereotypes might be what someone actually likes to look like.

I have to ask, if there was a pretty, blonde girl who was a cheerleader and got lots of attention from boys, would it be okay to bully her because the stereotype is that cheerleaders are bitchy? Would you tell her to stop being blonde, stop being a cheerleader, stop dating so that she wouldn't get bullied?

And whilst you keep saying you are not racist or anti-gay, that doesn't necessarily make that true. You hold a lot of unfair stereotypes about certain types of people as truth, which is a form of covert discrimination. You don't realise you are doing it, but it is still hurtful to people.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 750827 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!