View Single Post
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Guardian_Angel Offline
Protector.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Peter

Points: 12,824, Level: 16 Points: 12,824, Level: 16 Points: 12,824, Level: 16

Re: Would you date (or are you dating) someone you've never met in person? - November 16th 2011, 07:21 PM

I have, and I am in one.

I believe first of all it takes a certain type of person, with a certain lifestyle, in order for any chance of the relationship being successful; you have to at least consider the physical side of a relationship less important than other aspects, and need it less.

If you feel you have those then your chances of a long distance relationship are about the same rate of success than any other relationship...

That being said, there are a few misconceptions; they are more likely to cheat is one.

Seeing a person in person and seeing a person through a webcam say, it doesn't occur to me they are ABLE to cheat any easier. If your partner tells you they are going to see their best friend, visit their grandmother, get help with work after school; unless you are so paranoid that you go and independently verify the story, they could deceive you whether you were there or not.

In fact, I have found that people in long distance relationships, out of necessity communicate more frequently than those who can see their partner often, thus it would be difficult to have many "black spots" on which to conduct a separate relationship beyond your notice. And as for trusting their word, in local relationships, what else have you got to go on, other than what they tell you.

The other issue I regard a misconception, is that it is any less unsafe. some long distance relationships mean there is quite a period of time before you meet one another, and realistically without a webcam and a mic it won't work out.

Now after talking to someone every day for months via webcam and mic, it would take tremendous effort to lie about who you are; I mean you couldn't lie overwhelmingly about your age because you would see one another, and about your character, again I don't see why it would be any easier to lie about your personality and what type of person you was in a long distance relationship in comparison to a local one?

Considering how many people get mistreated by people in local relationships, and they usually point out they didn't start out that way, and they changed/revealed themselves over the course of a relationship, I think maybe people miscalculate how easy it is for people to hide the true depths of character in any relationship...

When I met my previous girlfriend, who was in Canada and I here, she was exactly how I knew her to be... We picked up little things, but it was no major shock.

It takes trust, but so does any relationship...

Impossible
is a word
to be found only
in the dictionary of fools.

To do all that one is able to do,
Is to be a man;
To do all that one would like to do,
Is to be a god.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Quiero tener sandías con un patito como Tricia!