View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Points: 29,500, Level: 24 Points: 29,500, Level: 24 Points: 29,500, Level: 24

The Economy, College, and the BS You're Fed in HS - November 28th 2011, 07:04 AM

So I've been stewing over this for a long time, and I'd like to bring it into open debate.

Basically, I've come to the point where I'm starting to question everything I was told in high-school regarding college as a necessity.

I was drilled in the fact that I HAD to go to a four year school, that I HAD to get a degree from said school, because it was the ONLY WAY to get a job.

Now, I see people graduating from college with degrees in all sorts of shit, only to be told that it's not enough. "You need a Master's to be relevant. You Need a PhD. You need 3 years experience. You need blah blah blah blah." My cousin graduated from Boston University, 3rd in her class, with a Masters in Environmental Engineering, and has been working at Starbucks since her graduation two years ago. She literally JUST got a job that relates to her career field. Meanwhile I'm getting paid to study Criminal Justice at my local community college, something most people would consider "below average", and I'm going into a field with a high demand for workers and an average salary of about $70k starting out. (Law Enforcement)

Now I don't know whether the reason for this is because people are simply going to college of the sake of going to college because they were told they have to, or because they actually have a plan in mind. My mind seems to settle on the former, considering on average people change their majors 4 or five times. It Literally feels like this.

Step 1- Go to College
Step 2- Get degree
Step 3-???
Step 4- Profit!

I mean, I'm not saying I don't believe in higher education, I just don't believe in the method we've been coerced into taking.

I've got more on this but I'll let it flow as the topic goes on. So, yeah, any thoughts?

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Last edited by TigerTank77; November 28th 2011 at 07:11 AM.