(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Points: 26,125, Level: 23 Points: 26,125, Level: 23 Points: 26,125, Level: 23

Re: College - December 29th 2011, 02:56 PM

Hey there, Bee.

Sorry to hear that things at school haven't been going so well for you. I'm wondering if there's anything particularly that you think might be the source of your anxiety at school, or if its just things in general? That is, do you think the social aspect is causing you more anxiety than the course load that you're taking?

At any rate, I think its very important to have support as you go through things like this. I think that life was meant to be lived together and that people were meant to love and support one another through their hardships. Do you have access to any sort of guidance counselor at school that you might be able to speak with about this? On one level, they can provide you with a listening ear and with someone to process through things with you. On another level, they might be able to help you seek certain accommodations (if you've been diagnosed with GAD or anything like that).

From what you've written, your motivators behind why you don't want to be at school don't seem like laziness to me. In fact, the whole notion that you're looking for help on this shows that you're quite motivated to see change, and that's a very important factor in making the change that you'd like to see happen, happen.

It sounds like going to college is something you've wanted to do for a long time, and I do think you should stick with it. I used to get severe anxiety about going to school (mostly English/speaking classes), but then I realized they only stemmed from my fear of public speaking, and the only thing that I was really scared of was the public speaking! I promptly enrolled myself in a public speaking course (and let me tell you, the weeks leading up to it were the most anxiety-filled, miserable weeks of my life), but I'm totally okay with giving speeches now! So, I say that to go back to what I was originally saying to see if there's anything you can pinpoint that's making you anxious, and going from there.

If you were still in school but weren't feeling anxious, what things would you be doing differently? What changes would you be noticing in yourself? What changes would you be noticing in others? Just a few hypothetical questions for you there that I think might help us brainstorm on what to do next!

Thinking of you, and I hope everything goes well. Hang in there.