Shawn K. Offline
SoCali Baller
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shawn

Points: 10,199, Level: 14 Points: 10,199, Level: 14 Points: 10,199, Level: 14

Re: Is this a problem? (Alcohol) - January 11th 2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelxlife View Post
A couple months ago, a friend introduced me to alcohol. I haven't gotten drunk, and I'm not planning on it (except for once (and only once), when I'm older, to see what it's like), but I can't seem to go for a day without craving it. I don't drink much of it, usually just a shot of something mixed with soda or juice, but I have these cravings for it all the time. Is this a problem? What can I do about it?
Hey Michael. My Peer Mediation class has talked about this a couple of times. We have lots of drinking at my school. (Drugs too to be honest). Our advisor always questions kids that say they are craving the "taste" of Alchohol. She says its more likely that the taste is related to the "effect" the alchohol has on the drinker, so they are craving the effect. When I asked her about your post, she said it is a "potential" problem, espeially because you are young. She said some people become dependent VERY EASILY and with little alchohol to start.

As for what to do about it, she said that if you've just started and recognize it as a problem, stop drinking. She said if you stop acting on the craving, and are not physically dependent on the alchohol, the cravings should subside. She suggested that physiccal activity, or some form or recreation would help distract the mind from the craving.

If you are becoming physically or psychologically dependent on the effects of the alchohol, she strongly suggested counseling to help you stop drinking. Regardless, she says, and from what I see around my school I agree, regular use of alchohol by kids is not a good thing.

Hope this helps.

15 Straight - Loving Life - Love meeting new peeps - Want to help if I can

Girl: "My doctor says I can't have sex for a while."
Boy: "What does your dentist say?"