WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Points: 52,404, Level: 32 Points: 52,404, Level: 32 Points: 52,404, Level: 32

Re: Ben Rothlesberger's Rape Case - January 21st 2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

I had meant to refrain from engaging in two debates at the same time but I'll respond anyway.

The short answer is that I don't, however given that rape is such a traumatising experience I find it difficult to believe that she would be happy with financial compensation for it. Further, if he actually did rape her, then she's a horrible person for allowing him to walk away innocent without a fight and potentially rape another person.

I agree that it our distrust of those who claim to have been raped makes it more unlikely for women to come forward, however let me explain why I think that this is not necessarily an issue.

We disbelieve the claims of the prosecution in court by default (although I suppose it's arguable we're more neutral than disbelief) if a man is accused of murder, why should it be any different for rape? It's a sensitive issue because the moment you accuse a man of rape his life is over, and so you have to have an iron-cast case for doing it in the first place, so it's definitely looked upon with more scrutiny. If the result of us not believing the prosecution by default is that fewer women report being raped then unfortunately that's something they'll have to deal with or find alternate solutions to; our legal system is based upon the idea of being innocent until proven guilty, accusations of rape do not exceed this rule.
1. So anyone who doesn't report or press charges on anyone who raped/ sexually assaulted them, is horrible? Is that what you're saying?

2. I was not talking about the court having disbelief in the situation. Sure, OBVIOUSLY, there needs to be evidence. But having a close friend, parent, teacher or whoever NOT believe you, is completely different.