forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Points: 38,917, Level: 28 Points: 38,917, Level: 28 Points: 38,917, Level: 28

Re: Ben Rothlesberger's Rape Case - January 21st 2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post

1. So anyone who doesn't report or press charges on anyone who raped/ sexually assaulted them, is horrible? Is that what you're saying?

I'll take that back. I spoke rashly and I did not mean what I said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
2. I was not talking about the court having disbelief in the situation. Sure, OBVIOUSLY, there needs to be evidence. But having a close friend, parent, teacher or whoever NOT believe you, is completely different.
What is the solution to the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee❤ View Post

Well, uh, seeing that your statistics come from wikipedia, which is just a bujumble of different statistics from different countries, and the other one is a blog that much of their statistics come from over ten years ago, I'm not sure you have a case. Sorry. Also, these are unfounded. That means they weren't necessarily untrue, they were never proven. That means quite a lot of things, from not enough evidence. So even if those statistics are true, what exactly does that prove? Does it prove that they were all lying to get money?

There are citations at the bottom of all Wikipedia articles. They are valid. I also don't believe rates of rape have significantly changed in the past 10 years. However you have a good point I have no response to on your last sentence, they can be interpreted in many different ways.

Quote:
I assume this is from your experience of being raped. Because I'm so sorry if that happened and I completely understand that if you want court value justice to put your rapist in jail, and that being your personal experience, I'm glad you pursued justice. If not, until you are put in this situation, I think you have very little of the right to say what you wouldn't or wouldn't do. From somebody with experience, I know that you really never want to see this person again, and along with having to deal with months of court dates, having every word that comes out of your mouth being attached by a prosecutor, and having to relive the experience every time you tell your story, very few rape victims ever even report it because it's too much to deal with. Many people often take back their accusations because they don't want to go through with it, these being cast as "untrue," although they really aren't. I don't think these should be in court, but I'm just saying it does not take away from the truth of the actual rape. I'm not even saying she was raped. But I'm giving you a reason why accepting money may just be easier than actually having to go through the full court experience.
Well if you have been through this then I'm very sorry, and while I understand the reasoning as it's very human, I'm afraid I still believe that anyone who is sexually assaulted should press charges as far as possible. It's their responsibility to stop the criminal doing the same thing again.

Quote:
Accusations. Also, people have done surveys of people about their experience with sexual assault, and a good amount of people get sexually assaulted and never report it to authorities.
Accusations are meaningless without evidence, they cannot and should not be presumed to be true.

Quote:
No, very few rapists in general. Like I said before, in surveys, they find many go unreported. But as you said, in your own words, very few accused are convicted. That is true as well, Doesn't mean that all the accusations are not true. Sometimes, they do not have enough evidence, which understandably the rapist is not put into jail. But it doesn't take away from the truth value of the rape.
All rapists who are proven to be so are convicted. The problem is that very few of those accused of being rapists are actually proven to be so, even though many of them actually are. I also agree with your last bit, however if they have no evidence then we have no reason to believe.

Quote:
I agree with you. It should be anonymous until a guilty sentence, to protect the innocence of both the rapist and the rape victim.

I just really don't like victim blaming, and that's what this culture is full of. People are told that if you don't have evidence you were raped, you can't get help. Even if you don't have evidence, you have the right to report it so that you can get the counseling and help that you need. I do not think that we should try to jail people for rape without enough evidence, you must be proven guilty before you are jailed, and I am for that right. But we need to stop making somebody feel guilty because they showered after their rape so it "Really didn't happen" or "You didn't report being raped by your father at six years old? It didn't happen." People need help after they are raped, and that may not mean wanting to see their rapist jailed, it may just mean getting counseling, and if they choose to bring it to court, just because they are only going for a monetary value does automatically mean it didn't happen.

I don't think you have a lot to worry about if you ask consent from your god damn partner.

*All quotes from Cosmo, but I'm terrible at setting up quotes so I just gave up.
The rest we can agree upon. I really wish there was a better system to prove rapists to be rapists, as they really are the lowest scum on the planet. Also, I too find the quoting system a bit of a nightmare!

Quote:
Ways of thinking about the causes of criminal victimization which seek explanations from the individual victim’s conduct and the victim’s relationship with the offender, rather than looking for wider social factors which help to explain victimization. In the context of police investigations, victim blaming can take the form of disbelieving the victim’s report of a crime being committed, or giving some types of incident lower priority on the grounds that the victim is less deserving than others.
I think you'll find my reasoning, although I don't agree with it anymore as I see how heartless it was, did not fall under victimisation. I did not attempt to justify her being raped, nor ignore social factors that explain it. I did not automatically believe she was lying and I did not give the incident lower priority.

Last edited by forfrosne; January 21st 2012 at 11:26 PM.