dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Doctor playing Eugenics - January 23rd 2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
Individuals with Wolf-Hirschhorn Syndrome often have a significantly reduced head size, which no doubt causes neural impairment. As a result, various physiological impairments can occur, such as affecting the cardiac system and intellect causing mental retardation. Thus, her mental condition is a product of her physiological disorder. I will say the doctor commented quite a fair bit on her mental condition as though it stemmed from a separate etiology. I cant explain why he/she did that, I think if it were explained in a similar manner that I provided in this post by explaining her neurological symptoms and likely cardiovascular impairments will result in more resource investment, which unfortunately has to be conserved for those who can benefit the most, the parents may be more understand but still distraught. In all fairness though, her mental retardation is not nearly as detrimental as the physiological impairments that commonly occur from this disorder that prove to be fatal, so I do think the focus in the doctor's response was not properly oriented.
Agreed - I take no issue with the quality of life argument (my only remark on it being that there isn't enough information to comment either way). I'm just baffled as to why mental condition was deemed a criterion at all, given that as you say it's the physiological conditions which are more significant. It just smacks of ulterior motive somewhat, and that is cause for concern. It may well have been an honest error of judgement - doctors are human, after all - but as things stand it doesn't look the best.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick