NonIndigenous Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25

Re: Doctor playing Eugenics - January 24th 2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmeringFaerie View Post
Alright, I'll make my argument more simple:

You said that the person who would get this kidney would live a full, productive, and hopefully happy life and that giving them a kidney would reap the most benefits for everyone.

And my point is that you have nothing to base that argument on. You cannot know any of that. You can't even predict that since you don't know which child will get the kidney. And sure, I don't know that this girl would have a longer, better life if she got the kidney. But I don't see why your assumptions are apparently reasonable and my potential assumptions are automatically null.

I'm not pessimistic. Which is why I don't think I could ever argue for a doctor refusing to put a child on the transplant list at all. Maybe putting her further down the list than an otherwise healthy child (though I can't think of many situations where a "healthy" child would need a tranplant). But to not put her on at all isn't right in my opinion.
And what makes some assumptions more reasonable than others, is what facts they're based on, if any at all. This girl is sick with Wolf-Hirschhorn Syndrome... FACT. It's almost certain she won't live anywhere near as long as me, you, most people on this planet. Sure... I may be sitting in my room in the UK, at risk of getting hit by a stray bullet from a war in the Middle East. Same risk goes for everyone, even it's small. Same risk that they might die of a car accident... I've been over this. But I, along with the 99.99% of people have very low risk of dying of Wolf-Hirschhorn Syndrome, because we don't have it.

And wtf is this bullshit about Nazi ideologies in the few comments above me?? Whaaaat... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d_FvgQ1csE

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.