(#8 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: To all those in college or university: - January 26th 2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMustang View Post

What is your college/university program?
My focus is medical and rehabilitative sciences, with emphasis in neuro- and electrophysiology, molecular medicine and cancer research.

Quote:
What is your intended career path?
I'm applying for my Masters in the fields listed above. My plan is to do a combination of research and clinical work, or get my Masters degree then go to medical school, although with everything considered, the first plan is the one I'm focusing more on.

Quote:
How/why did you pick the program and career path you did?
I always got high marks in high-school for sciences, especially chemistry, math and biology, so I wanted to work in the medical field. I applied to the chemical and physical sciences program, then transferred after my first year to the health/life sciences program. After doing several courses in physiology and neuropsychology, I found neuroscience, neurophysiology and electrophysiology to be extremely interesting and understood it quicker than most of the other students. I was interested in biophysics but my physics background was shaky so I found interest in molecular medicine and cell physiology, which is one of the areas where I'm currently doing research.

I did a major in psychology because I initially wanted to be a criminal profiler after watching so many episodes of Criminal Minds. I did a course in forensic psychology and several socio-law courses but didn't find them as interesting as the medical sciences courses.

If I were you, I'd stick to the field you like the best, forensic psychology and law. Once you have you degree and if you choose to do a Masters or PhD, you want to explore a field you actually like because it will become enjoyable. Even in my third year, I found the physiological courses very interesting and was actually eager to go to lectures and labs, even if it meant doing a ridiculously long lab report that I fumed and cursed over.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)