View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Who to tell? Just found out I'm pregnant? - February 5th 2012, 01:32 AM

Even if things aren't going well between you and your ex right now, I do believe that it would be fair that you let him know. That way, you both can go over the options of either raising him/her together peacefully, giving him/her up for adoption to a family that wants a child, or terminating the pregnancy completely. All of these options are open to you. Here is a bit more information on each.

Keeping Him/Her: Of course, this is going to be the hardest one out of the 3. Raising a child isn't easy, but this is something the both of you should discuss together. That way you can both figure out how to financially care for the child, who gets visitation on which days (since you two aren't together, visitation should be discussed), etc. This decision is entirely up to the both of you, and should be reached as a mutual decision together.

Adoption: If you don't think you could go through with terminating the pregnancy, or raising your baby on your own (or together), I would look into this. There are two types of adoption available to you. Of course, an adoption agency will have more information for you, but here's what I understand about the adoption process. You have an open adoption which allows you to be in your child's life, however, you sign over your rights as their parent when you give him/her up for adoption to another family. You can acquire pictures, letter, e-mails, and even visitation with your child if you choose to go the open adoption route. Now, an open adoption is completely up to the family that you choose to be your child's adoptive parents, but you can always ask the agency you go through to try to find a couple that wouldn't mind an open adoption. The other type of adoption is called closed adoption. Pretty self-explanatory, but this means you'll have no contact with your child until they decide to find you later in their life. No picture, letters or e-mail's with updates about your child. Your child wouldn't even acknowledge the fact that you are their birth parent until they decide to find you later in life (which may or may not happen).

Terminating the pregnancy: This option is completely available to you too. It's pretty self-explanatory as well, however, there are two types of abortions. There is a medical abortion, which they give you the abortion pill (distributed from a doctor's office), and you go from there. The second type is called a surgical abortion, where a doctor physically removes the embryo from your uterus during a visit to a clinic. Both can be pretty expensive if you don't have any medical insurance. Through Planned Parenthood's website, the abortion pill can range anywhere from $300-$800, and a surgical abortion can range anywhere from $300-$950. Sometimes, these fees can be waived, but I'm not sure if that applies procedures such as abortion. You can read more on each type of abortion here:
In-Clinic Abortion Procedures: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/hea...dures-4359.asp

Abortion Pill: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/hea...rtion-4354.asp

Now, on top of telling your ex (which is completely up to you. We can't tell you to tell him or not. It's just a wise decision), you should also tell your family so you can have a excellent support system behind you no matter what decision you decide to make.

You can also go to Planned Parenthood clinics to get counseling on each of these options, and they will help you decide which one is right for you. You can find your local PP by visiting their website: www.plannedparenthood.org

I wish you the best of luck in any of the decisions that you make. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011