View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: American -> Canadian College? - February 12th 2012, 10:09 AM

In Canada, colleges and universities are more differentiated, so I assume you mean university. In general, the tuition is less, however, all universities have an increased tuition for international students. I do believe there are scholarships for international students but each university has its own criteria so you would have to look up each one you are interested in potentially attending.

One of the biggest issues for you would be housing. In other words, would your family move to somewhere in Canada or would they remain in Ohio while you live either on residence or nearby off campus? For the latter, you will have to pay even more. One of the risks you face is there are not as many highly reputable Canadian universities versus American universities/colleges. For example, in Canada, there's University of British Columbia (UBC) and University of Toronto (UofT) which are very well-known around the world (I'm graduating this year from UofT). Another risk you face is being home-sick since you're away from your family and you'll be in an area you are not familiar with at all. It's always ideal to visit the campuses of where you'll be applying but for you this would require a flight or very long drive. If you don't see the campus with your own eyes, your expectations may not be met.

If I misunderstood and you meant community college, I see no value in coming to Canada for that.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)