View Single Post
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Creationism: Is there anyone here that subscribes wholesale to this? - February 14th 2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
I never claimed that humans and other animals weren't similar and didn't evolve similarly- I only claimed that humans didn't evolve from non-humans. And as for the non-human ancestors, I believe that all of those were either human and just looked different, or not human and never did become human (even if they looked similar to humans).
Perhaps there was misunderstanding on my part, however, why do you believe a) humans never evolved from non-humans and b) why non-humans evolved but remained as non-humans?

Quote:
I know that Creationism isn't a scientific theory, because the evidence is mainly circumstancial and not scientific....which isn't enough for scientists, but it's enough for me.
Creationism is something you cannot scientifically test so it doesn't entire the realm of science, which is why any evidence of it is not accepted by scientists.

Quote:
Absolutely everything happens either on purpose or by accident. When I say "accident", I don't mean that something went wrong that caused it to happen...I just mean that nobody/nothing planned it, it just happened through natural (sometimes scientific) events. I don't know if I'm making sense, but everything was either planned by someone or happened by accident/coincidence.
If we're to talk about evolution, you must understand it is in no way planned because that implies it is conscious. Instead, you have mutations (accidents) or responses to the environment or stimuli (neither accidental nor planned). When god comes into the equation, you can then say something is planned but the way you're wording it, you're jumbling ideas together, which is why I said and continue to say you have an extremely limited understanding of evolution.

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I meant, the body sends signals and makes it all happen. I didn't mean to say that it just magically happened. I just meant that it's all wired so perfectly that it's hard to believe it just adapted to do that all by itself. And when it not approx. 9 months (give or take, it obviously doesn't have to be to the day), it's usually because something goes wrong, not because that's how it's meant to be. Like I said, there is sin in the world so it isn't perfect any more.
I'm not going to hold this part against you since you may have not covered it in your high-school science class. The body is nowhere near as perfect as you suggest it is. There are constant mutations, genetic errors, polymorphisms and so forth but many go unnoticed because you cannot see them from looking at the person or fetus. In a sense, it goes wrong all the time but more often than not, the body (mother or fetus) is able to compensate for it. For example, morning sickness, at first glance seems "wrong" but there are a multitude of studies indicating absence of morning sickness, especially in the first trimester is an indicator something is wrong.

Quote:
That was quite a long time ago that I said that. I have researched since. I'm still no expert, but I know the basics about what others believe on the subject as well as what I believe. Also, I understand the "link" that people see in humans and apes...but I believe that those "links" are all either humans that just looked different, apes that just looked different, or another extinct animal that never became human. I'm sure humans may look and adapt similarly to them, but that doesn't mean that humans once started as something else.
In a sense you're somewhat correct. From a biological evolutionary perspective, there is a family called Hominidae, which includes gorillas, chimpanzees, orangatangs and humans. There are thought to be two sub-families derived from this: Ponginae (leading to modern-day orangatangs) and Homininae (leading to modern-day gorillas, chimpanzees and humans). In the latter group, each animal evolved alongside one another and not from one another. Additionally, this latter group is part of human evolution and is defined as including human/human-like organisms. Obviously those humans looked different than modern-day Homo sapiens sapiens, which is why I say you're somewhat correct. I don't say you're completely correct because you still maintain the view apes stayed as apes and never evolved to humans.

Quote:
I'm saying that SOME people simply believe that everything was just an accident. I wasn't saying that's what scientists say or that's what you guys say, but SOME people definitely do believe that.
Some people believed Y2K would've been the end of the world, your point?

Quote:
I can't tell you for sure why we have an appendix, but here is my guess. When humans were first created, we probably did function differently (after all, there wasn't even sin or sickness in the world at the time), so we probably needed an apendix back then. God chose for the rest of the world to be created through child birth instead of making each person individually out of dust like He did with Adam and Eve...so naturally (and yes, scientifically!), when we are forming, we are going to for the most part have the same parts that our parents have- even though we may not need all of them. There was a purpose for it originally. This would be true whether Creationism or Evolution were right, so this isn't really a valid arguement on either side.
Actually there is a valid argument from the evolutionary side. The appendix was thought to be primarily used for digestion of cellulose from plant material, as revealed through modern studies of herbivorous animals. In humans, it is implicated in the immune system as revealed through fetal studies. I don't see the scientific aspect you allude to, can you explain it?

Quote:
The birthing process may have changed a little, I don't know...but there always was a birthing process from the beginning, even if it was a little different. There had to be, or else people and animals wouldn't have kept existing. That's what I'm saying, the birthing process couldn't have just adapted into existance. Whether you believe in macro evolution or creationism, everyone pretty much has to agree that the birthing process had to have been around (even if it was slightly different) since the first creatures were created or else no one would exist today.
Your idea doesn't apply universally to all modern-day organisms. There is a phenomenon called parthenogenesis, meaning asexual reproduction and embyronic development without fertilization. For example, the Komodo dragon, New Mexican whiptail lizard, boa constrictors, Hawaiian blind snake, certain hammerhead and other sharks, certain flatworms, South African honey bees, marbled crayfish, and possibly birds. And yes, humans as well (although the embryos are often discarded by the body), in 2007, a group of scientists in South Korea made fraudulent claims. To everyone's surprise, after a few years of investigating the claims, it was found that the team actually did produce parthenogenetic human eggs. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08...rthenogenesis/

With everything considered, your views have no scientific merit and you can ignore the scientific evidence so you can continue to delude yourself but at the very least, look into what you claim to be against. If I were to challenge something about Islamic practices, I would first look it up in detail because I know very little about it. I'm not sure why you openly refuse to follow the same common-sense.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 812821 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!