(#15 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19

Re: Religion vs. Fairy Tales - February 17th 2012, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapanga Paige View Post
Wow this got a lot more feed back than i thought it would. All of your answers are very intriguing and I agree that influences as a child greatly effect one's overal decision. This begs the question: Should we teach anything pro or con religion to children, or should we simply let them grow up neutral and decide for themselves?

My parents are agnostic/athiest as well, and though I was never taught religion or dragged to church as a child as I grew older and was surrounded by peers with religious backgrounds I became curious. I took a personal interest and did all of my own research on various religions and their beliefs and came to a conclusion all on my own. So is it morally wrong to allow an "inocent" child to remain inocent and neutral until they themselves develope an interest on their own?
I grew up the same way you did. I didn't even know what religion was until I was 10 and we started learning about it in school. I am forever grateful that I was able to come to a completely unbiased decision for myself. I think in a perfect world all children would be raised that way but it will never happen. I wouldn't say it's morally wrong not to raise your kids that way, but I would say it's better parenting if you do.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 813636 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!