View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kelsey

Unhappy Emotionally struggling with One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - February 17th 2012, 05:06 AM

In my english class, we are reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I'm having a hard time, emotionally, reading it. I find it disturbing, especially with dealing with some of the mental health issues I've encountered in the past and present. I try to tell myself it's just a book, but it still gets me worked up over it. I just started reading it, so maybe it will get better? The teacher and students' comments about doesn't help either... My peers are so ignorant when it comes to things like these. There are always jokes made, that are not funny to me. The teacher even said the book was a comedy...? I mean, I guess there are some parts that the author did put in for comic relief, but I wouldn't say the whole book is comical... I don't think the overall torture of the character's with lobotomies and treatment against their will is very funny... Usually, I feel comfortable speaking my mind, even if it's against the majority. But in this case, I almost feel like trying to argue against the close-mindedness and ignorance of most of the class isn't even worth my breath. It is required reading, so not reading it isn't really an option. And, if you can't tell by previous description of the teacher, she's not very understanding

Is there anything you guys have for feedback? About this specific book or just with tough topics in school in general. All comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks