View Single Post
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: My little brother is being bullied - February 26th 2012, 06:29 PM

I would keep an eye out still because similar to the first time when you spoke to the bullies, they may retaliate. Granted, it seems different the second time around because one 5 ft girl probably can do nothing more than scream at several 6 ft guys, although Tall Tom carries a greater threat even if he wouldn't hurt a fly. Does Tom go to the same school as the bullies? If so, they may figure out Tom looks menacing but really is a puppy and your brother will have it even worse. If not, then it should be good, perhaps have Tom tag along a few more times just to ensure the bullies are at bay.

Self-defense classes can be great for your brother but there are several things to consider. After his initial few classes, as much as he may want to use his knowledge, it'll fail. I say this from first-hand experience because I do help teach self-defense and have been doing martial arts for 8-9 years. Quite often the students are bullied or abused and they become angry and resentful after attempting to use their little knowledge but it backfires. If Tom cannot come with you or by himself, or if he no longer can intimidate, then you need to find someone who can. In high-school and less so in university, several of my good friends were bullied, although 1 of them knew a fair amount of martial arts. I won't physically harm anyone unless I truly need to, so I intimidated them verbally, which sometimes went easier than I thought, other times one of them threw a punch and I put them in painful but not yet harmful techniques (unless I applied more pressure). I told them to quit hassling my friend, otherwise I'm going to be upset and we'll need to have a second chat.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)