(#11 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Points: 19,512, Level: 20 Points: 19,512, Level: 20 Points: 19,512, Level: 20

Re: Is ATHEISM a RELIGION? - February 28th 2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words . Basically, the pastor was mixing two similar concepts: god and religion. There cannot be a god of atheism, so that part of the pastor's statement is nonsense but instead of throwing out the baby with the bath water, dr2005 referenced examples of philosophical beliefs involving a being yet still adhered to atheism (another example would be LaVeyan Satanism). His point was depending on the particular philosophical details of one's atheistic belief, you could advance an argument they are similar to religious beliefs. Since the pastor gave only a blanket statement, it's not entirely founded.

I guess those of us that did understand dr2005's statement have an IQ of over 160 something. For the record, IQ does not equate with intelligence, although that's a separate debate.
But we all know how wonderously fun it is to brag about our IQ's online. Geez, get with the program old man.

Great post by dr2005, as I would expect.

To me Atheism is the equalivant of an abscence of religion, as darkness is the abscence of light. One could argue darkness is really just a differnt amount of light, but it wouldn't be a good argument as it is based on personal ideas. (eg. Is the glass half full, or half empty?)

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic