(#5 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: College majors- I'm confused. - March 18th 2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR94 View Post
I think i would like studying visual comm/graphic design, but I have a few concerns about it too. I don't know if I'd like working in the field. I guess I have a hard time picturing myself in an office all day which would be the case if I were to become a web designer or graphic designer. I love art and design- always have- but I'm also afraid I'm not going to be talented enough. I've always felt like was creative for the average person, but compared to the world or artsy people, I'm afraid I'm gonna suck. I'm scared the other students will be more naturally talanted than I am and I've heard job landing in the field can be competitive. I've also heard it's hard day to day grind work and low pay.
Getting a job will be competitive no matter the field, whether it's graphic design, medicine, teaching, etc... . As for natural talent, you need not be the most creative person.

Many jobs will involve repeated work, although the crucial factor isn't necessarily the pay, rather it's whether you like it. For example, I'm in my last year of my Bachelor's doing research courses. On average, I spend a good 5-6 hours in the lab with 2 classmates who I work with and we're friends so that helps. It's not off-the-wall exciting, it's very tedious repetitive work, however, I truly do enjoy what I'm studying and investigating. At the Masters level that I'm applying to, it's also hard tedious repetitive work that can be long hours. The key though is finding something that you like coming to class to learn, you like reading a book or paper about.

First-year is rough, you're not sure what to do, where to go, how to study and you worry in general. You probably won't find the key element I'm talking about until 2nd to 3rd year and definitely 4th year. First-year is a weeding out process to see who may make eventually graduate and who has no hope in hell for the particular area of study.

Quote:
I've though about majoring in marketing. At first I thought this may be high paying, but I don't know if it is with a bachelor's degree. It's also considered "easy" or "soft" compared to other business degrees. I think it'd be okay to study, I wouldn't hate it, probably wouldn't love it. I have NO idea I'd id like working in any related positions. I heard it can be stressful, which worries me. I'd major in it, though if it would lead to lucrative work.
I don't study in marketing so I cant give direct personal experience. For every single job, the pay is going to be lower in the beginning then gradually increase, although for only a Bachelor's degree, it's not going to be very high. Many jobs will be stressful in that you may have heavy workload, however, if you enjoy what you do, then it becomes less stressful.

Quote:
Most the high paying jobs involve heavy math/science which is really just not an option for me, I don't tjinkk I would even be able to pass calculus or college physics. Grad school won't be an option until I pay off loans which could take a few years at least.
I'm applying for my Masters degree in a heavy science (biology mostly with some chemistry). Even if I get a PhD or M.D., it's not going to be an extremely high-paying job and that's something I'm already well aware of. If you want a high-paying job, become a CEO, professional athlete, or possibly an entrepreneur. I wasn't great in college physics, in fact I sucked at it. The only physics I frequently use are very basic electrical circuit models that I apply to neurophysiology and a general understanding of molecular physics although I never took a biophysics course.

I don't think having a poor math and physics background would be too detrimental. I have a few friends and family members in computer science and programming, which needs a strong understanding of math. From what I'm told, graphic design needs significantly less, so as long as you're not heading down the path of programming, I think you'd be safe.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)