(#4 (permalink)) Old
Tegan Offline
Make a wish...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tegan

Points: 15,225, Level: 17 Points: 15,225, Level: 17 Points: 15,225, Level: 17

Re: School Project on LGBT. {Help} - March 25th 2012, 12:30 AM

Hey!

I'm gay, in a gay relationship with a beautiful woman who I intend to spend the rest of my life with. However, although I believe in the same legal rights for gay people as for straight I don't believe that we should be able to be 'married' in a church, or that civil partnerships should hold any sway within a religious context. I also believe this for heterosexual couples who don't get married in a church. Personally, I feel angry and victimised when people attempt to make decisions for me regarding my life and beliefs, I feel it is wrong to do the same thing to a group of people based on their religion and how they practise it. If someone believed that their religion was strongly opposed to gay marriage then I don't think they should be forced to support it within their place of worship, their religion is not my religion and I wouldn't wish to get married in a place which didn't support my ability to commit to my girlfriend for life. I am a Christian, and would wish to get married in a church, but understand that this is not possible due to the views of many Christians. There is no ideal outcome, and I honestly don't think that we will see one within our lifetime, but I don't think forcing people to accept gay rights or marriage against their will is the way to solve this issue, there is a significant chance it will do more harm than good.

My other main sticking point with gay rights is the right of gay couples to adopt children. Personally I believe that it is much better for a child to be raised by two loving parents of the same sex, than to be raised without a family. All my gay friends who have children are not raising their kids to be indoctrinated into some sort of homosexual cult (whatever the media might say!) they're raising their kids to be responsible, accepting human beings, something which the world needs more of! So why shouldn't they be able to raise good kids whilst offering them a happy childhood?

Hope that helps

You are the one, the one who lies next to me,
Whispers "hello, I missed you quite terribly"