View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
morningstory.42 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gracie

"Major" Decisions - April 10th 2012, 01:54 PM

I am a college freshman, and I need some advice on making a big decision. I am currently a technical theatre major (building sets and whatnot for theatre shows), and I absolutely love it. But I've been thinking about what I want for my future more and more, and tech potentially won't get me there. I've been considering switching my 4 year degree to Environmental Biology which has a greater earning potential and a quickly growing job market. I would have more job security and be able to afford the life I want in the future. The choice seems obvious, but here are the thinks that are keeping me from switching:
1. Scholarships. If I switch, I potentially lose about $14,000 in school-funded aid. I'd be going into more debt by the end of college.
2. If I decide that I made a wrong decision in switching, there is almost no chance that I can get back into the tech theatre program here. It's all or nothing.
3. I'm at a school that specializes in theatre. Not biology. I may have to switch schools later down the road. Is this more effort than it is worth?
4. I love learning and exploring new ideas. Biology gives me that opportunity, and theatre doesn't always do that. Theatre is more of a hobby to me, but if I switch I might not have the opportunity to pursue it in the future.
5. My school does not offer a tech theatre minor, and the tech major offers no time for a minor. I could work in the scene shop (one of my favorite aspects of the major) if I switch majors to Enviro-Bio.

Any advice is appreciated, and thanks for helping in advance!

Good God You're coming up with reason
Good God You're dragging it out
And Good God it's the changing of the seasons
So follow me down..
  Send a message via AIM to morningstory.42