(#11 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Points: 12,202, Level: 16 Points: 12,202, Level: 16 Points: 12,202, Level: 16

Re: How to Stay Christian in College - June 12th 2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantPegasister View Post
I'm in the middle of reading How to Stay Christian in College by J Budziszewski, a Christian apologist and professor at the University of Texas.

I won't bore you with my frustrations at the book in its entirety. I will quote instead his statements about sex:

(emphasis mine)

I'm curious as to what people think, especially you Christians out there.
If someone who isn't a Christian reads a book that is aimed at Christians, they aren't going to understand why certain things are said. Reason being, Christians have different definitions of things than everyone else does. For example, your definition of "romantic" and the bible's definition of "romantic" are not the same thing....so pre-marital sex may fit your definition of romantic and yet not fit God's definition (which is what the author of this book would be going by since he is a Christian).

It's like when there was a debate here about whether or not non-Christians were capable of love. The non-Christians and Christians were arguing based on two different definitions of love...so they weren't agreeing. Christians believe that God is love, which means you can't have love without having God. And non-Christians believe various things about love...none of which have the definition of "God". So, non-Christians might be able to love based on their definition of love, yet not based on God's definition of love.