(#20 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: religion - June 19th 2012, 06:16 PM

As a churchgoer (intermittently at present), I think it's down to three things:

1. More people being atheist/agnostic/other religions than has been the case in recent history in the West;
  2. A growing sense of not needing to go to church to affirm one's religiosity or adherence to belief;
  3. Churches not always being very inclusive or welcoming, and instead becoming cliquey, judgmental and downright hostile to people who don't conform to their ideals (despite their religion often encouraging the opposite kind of behaviour...)
That said, attendance levels do tend to go through peaks and troughs - my local church has started to get new members recently, as have others in the area. At the same time, other churches have had to close over the last few years due to falling numbers. It all depends on how appealing a church makes itself, and how relevant people feel it is to their lives.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick