Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Should I be worried about an eating disorder? - July 13th 2012, 01:37 AM

Hi Stephanie,

Welcome to TeenHelp! I apologize to the OP and the mods (Lynds, and meeee) for bumping this thread, but I wanted to offer you a bit more support. At the time this thread was published, I was traveling, so I can finally give it the attention you deserve.

Here on TeenHelp, we are not medical professionals, so we cannot diagnose these habits of yours into an eating disorder. However, these habits can easily be or become disordered, so it's good that you are addressing this now before they come out of hand. Often, these habits can also fall under an eating disorder call an "EDNOS" (Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified) so don't think because you don't meet the stiff criteria for anorexia that there's nothing wrong with you. But you cannot use wikipedia, or TeenHelp, to diagnose.

Do you have somebody in your life who you trust, such as an adult you trust (family friend, neighbor, counselor, teacher, or especially a parent) or a friend from school that you feel you can confide in? Even if you don't have an eating disorder, quitting these habits can be hard, and having a support system is one of the best ways to be able to quit. It can also lead you to getting the help you need if you do in fact have an eating disorder.

Last, identify the difference between healthy weight loss and wanting improvement to your body, and unhealthy habits and self esteem. If you have been told by a doctor that you are overweight and wish to lose some weight for your health using a well-balanced diet and exercise, that's wonderful! But if you are wanting to lose weight although you have not been told you are overweight, you are doing it by starving and skipping meals, and are idolizing those underweight and unhealthy for weight loss, this is a problem. What to do? Talk about it. Acknowledge its a problem. Get yourself help.

Hope this helps, good luck!

something burning?