View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
LizualKei Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 9,623, Level: 14 Points: 9,623, Level: 14 Points: 9,623, Level: 14

I have horrible work anxiety - July 14th 2012, 06:21 PM

Okay, well about a year ago, I was hired by a popular restaurant chain in the area as a waitress. It was probably the worst experience in my life. The work was horrible. I was instructed to do things that I wasn't getting paid nearly enough to do($2.63/hour). The management was atrocious, I was forced to go to tables in tears in more than one occasion. The people who came in were brutal. My employees were unreliable and immature. They won't do more work than they need to. Money was taken out of our checks for no reason. Anyway, it was bad. But, needing a job very badly, I put up with it.
Recently, due to a falling out with one of my managers due to her own stupidity, I decided to leave that one store. I transferred to a different building, but the stayed with the same company. And the atmosphere at this new store is probably a million times better. Everything is beautiful. I don't cry at work. The managers listen to you. Anyone is willing to help. The focus is what we can do to make the experience better for everyone: the customer and the workers. Yet, when I have to go into work, I feel very sick. I lose my appetite, my stomach hurts, my heart races. The day the schedule comes out, I will have a panic attack and it takes everything in me to open it, knowing that I will have to come in for yet another week. I do have anxiety problems, and i am on meds for it, but it doesn't seem to be helping.
I just don't get it. I have no reason to be afraid to go into work anymore. I just am. No matter how good of a day I have the day before, I'm s till terrified. I'm afraid I'll cry. I'm afraid I'll mess up. But I have no reason to be! I talked to my psychologist about it and she said stuff I expected. Work anxiety is normal. Everyone has it. Suck it up. Blah blah. But she also told me if it really makes me as crazy as I say, I should find employment elsewhere, somewhere less stressful(retail, receptionist), but I don't want to just give up because I'm afraid to go into work. I'm an adult, and I need to deal with this like one.
My questions are:
Does anyone else have this problem?
How do you deal with it?
Any other tips?