(#7 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: cutting: my friends are no help - August 4th 2012, 11:36 PM

Hi there.

I'm glad you're reaching out for help now to try and stop the self harming from getting worse. I think that's a really positive step in the right direction and I think you should be proud of yourself for doing so.

Maybe your friend doesn't know a lot about self harm and maybe she's never been through it herself or known someone to go through it and therefore its hard for her to try and understand and relate to what you're going through. Perhaps this is something you could talk to her about and try and help her understand how it is for you. She's your friend and I feel positive in saying she'll want to try and help you her best if she can do. Just remember it can be a tricky conversation for people and it can be hard for people to relate too.

Do you know what causes the urges for you to self harm? I think if you find the underlying reason and work on that, it'll help you in the long run. And if there is something you know of, then remember that we're always here for you. You're not on your own in this and we'll try our best to help and support you as best as we can do. We don't judge you either, we're here to give support.

In the short term try distracting yourself. This can range from doing things like sport and art or doing something like going for a walk, writing down how you're feeling, talking to someone etc. Different things work for different people so its about trying things and finding ones that work and not giving up when something doesn't work. I know it can be frustrating when you keep trying things and they don't work but don't give up!

You can do this, keep your chin up :-)
Jessie

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018