View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,969, Level: 26 Points: 33,969, Level: 26 Points: 33,969, Level: 26

Re: LGBT Targeted in National Suicide Prevention Strategy - September 12th 2012, 03:34 AM

The issue I have with it is that everyone seems to try to prevent suicide in one group at a time, now it's LGBT which probably has something to do with the perceived rise in LGBT suicides and the increased acceptance of LGBT in general. I don't think it means that it's just now being realized I think that it seems to be the most pressing right now so that's where the focus is.

The same could be said for suicides in the military, it's not that they didn't occur before, but since we've been in a war, the incidence has increased so it's focused on more. I think tailoring prevention to certain groups is really the only way to do it because suicide could, in theory, affect everyone.

Right now they're looking at LGBT and military, before it was teenagers and college students, and at some point it was, or will be the elderly. I don't think anyone is focusing on one group and excluding the others, but I think the focus is just shifting because otherwise certain populations would be overlooked.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte