(#17 (permalink)) Old
Pyromania Offline
Not a n00b

Name: ?

Points: 8,550, Level: 13 Points: 8,550, Level: 13 Points: 8,550, Level: 13

Re: Talking about religion - September 17th 2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melwirth View Post
And Pyromania! I have quite a bit of respect for atheists, you guys tend to know more about Christianity itself then a lot of Christians, you guys know your facts and I admire that. When talking to my brother..who is somewhat of an atheist...I have to make sure I have my facts straight first or he will call me out on it (which I dont like) I do admit I dont know every little thing about my religion but I try my best to learn and understand. I know I have been blessed with the ability to gain understanding, thats why I love discussing topics on religion.....if people are civil about it
It's this 'ability' and mindset that distinguishes those who are worth talking to from those who aren't, in my opinion. There's no point in explaining your views/beliefs if they're just going to bounce off the ears of whoever it is you're debating with. I don't expect my personal view to convert anybody but I'd like any person I talk to to at least approach things with an open mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaMZ View Post
I'd rather have a civilised argument than a polite conversation where you know the other person thinks you're going to Hell, but can't be bothered explaining why!
This is what winds me up about most stubborn religious followers. They tend to force their views on others and not even explain why things are as they are - "God exists because he just does!", for example. That's a non-statement. As an atheist, I'm able to back up my views and I'd expect anybody else I debate with to be able to do the same. Not necessarily with science now, but with anything of substance.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 946870 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!