Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: I think my sister is cutting herself? - September 23rd 2012, 08:24 PM

Hi,

First off, do not worry that we cannot understand you. For having English as a second language, you write very well.
I know this is a really hard place to be in.
I can suggest things to you from the point of view of someone that has been in yourr sister's position.

I would really recommend you be honest with your sister about you being the one that found the journal, you can tell her your mom read it but at the end of the day if she knows that you would be more likely to go in her room and if she knows you were in there she would find it suspicious that your mom read it and probably live with doubts of who it actually was.
Be honest with her and tell her that you were curious as to what was in the notebook.
She probably will be very angry with you and your parents when she finds out that her journal has been read.
People usually keep journals as ways to vent what they are feeling, thinking, doing, wanting to do etc.
You can have your mom talk to her about what is in the journal and have your mom tell her that you are concerned and care about her which is why you did not keep this to yourself and why you told your mom so that she can get help from a psychologist or psychiatrist.
If your mom suggests looking for help for her without talking to her first about reading the journal, make sure your sister knows what is going on and that her journal has been read. She could be contemplating how to communicate to you how she is feeling and that she wants help and she just may have not gotten to the point of bringing things up to your parents. Also, getting her help without her wanting help and forcing it on her will do no good because no matter how much help she gets she has to want to stop this, to change her behavior and improve her life using resources that may be offered to her.
I know my family thought that getting me into counseling would help stop me from being how I was however I half wanted to be there but mostly I didn't and I didn't start actually utilizing the counseling for a while because I didn't want to change but over time I began learning new things about myself and got to the point of wanting to change. I still struggle with my issues however I now want help and seek it out on my own. Basically, she has to want the help and if she doesn't she will fight it and refuse it.
Hopefully I have been helpful and that all goes well for you and your sister.
You are an amazing sibling for being able to reach out for her and for wanting to get her help and speak with your mother.
I will be thinking of you and hope all goes well.
Also, if you ever need anything, you can send me a VM or PM on here and I will be glad to help or give you any advice you may need.
Take care.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."