View Single Post
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Diagnosed with ADHD - December 30th 2012, 05:52 PM

Are you also going to counseling? AD/HD medication works best if you are coupling it with counseling. You will learn techniques on how to better keep focus and channel your energy. Without the counseling the medication may not be helpful. I highly suggest you ask your doctor about this.

Diagnosing someone later in life with AD/HD can have some draw backs. I am assuming this doctor didn't know you as a child, all they have to go off of is what you tell them. Often children with AD/HD do not get good grades, not because they can't do the work, but because they can't focus long enough to finish the assignment. The fact that you could finish them and you got good grades is interesting.

If you don't find this medication to be helpful, you might just be in the boat that every other college student is in. College is hard, its meant to be hard and I don't know a single person who doesn't loose interest in boring lectures. If you had just typed that information I would figure you a typical college student. Some people can coast through school with minimal effort but then are dumbfounded on why college is so difficult for them. They never learned how to study, take notes, or cram for tests. Now they have to learn all of those things while trying to pass classes. It may be beneficial for you to learn how to take notes and study for exams. Often schools have seminars on those types of things. If you didn't have to do those things in high school because the work was so easy, you need to learn them now. I know it might seem silly but there is a right and wrong way to studying.

Anyways, enough of my ramblings. Different AD/HD medications can have different side effects... and some weird ones at that, like changes in weight. I suggest you either ask your doctor about them, or probably an easier route would be to ask your pharmacist for known side effects.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.